Vines Art Festival is committed to capturing the imaginations of new audiences and inserting creativity into Vancouver’s everyday public spaces. The festival is a free public event that creates platforms for local artists and performers to create with and on the land, steering their creative impulses toward work that focuses on the environment – whether a deep love of nature, sustainability, or climate justice. We stage work in pedestrian, open-air settings so audiences will happen upon public art, finding delight in the unexpected beauty and power of the super-natural Coast Salish Territory. We present a wide range of disciplines and cultures, reinforcing the reality that each art form and each community has a deep-rooted tie to the land and a story to go along with it. Vines shares thought-provoking art that tackles environmental justice with various approaches that are accessible for all ages, genders and cultures; granting each individual the possibility to access, engage, and participate in creation or performance.
- Build a public space for outdoor creation/enjoyment.
- Showcase the beauty of the Coast Salish land.
- Create and present art in an environmentally sustainable fashion.
- Be accessible and inviting for all audiences.
- Build and foster community.
- Free of charge and education-based.
- Direct attention towards environmental solutions.
- Present interdisciplinary art and nurture connections between artists, environmentalists and community.
- Highlight Vancouver’s parks and promote artists-in-residence programs.